How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to be sentenced to a year in the nd womens prison

Customer Question

Hi, I am going to be sentenced to a year in the nd womens prison I just have a few questions about the logistical part of it so I can relay to family not to worry.
How long will it take to be transferred to the prison after sentence?
Will I have to serve the full year and a day?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, and hope the information I provide you will be helpful. If after reading my answer, you need clarification or further assistance, please REPLY, and I'll be happy to help you.

The initial transfer can take several weeks. Female inmates sentenced to the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation first undergo an orientation period at the Dakota Women’s Correctional Rehabilitation Center (DWCRC) before they are placed. For security purposes, inmates nor their families are informed when exactly you will be transferred or what time.

As far as the sentence, you can earn up to 5 days per month in "good time" off your sentence (in other words, you'd essentially serve 25 days in a 30 day month, potentially) which would reduce your sentence so you wouldn't do the full 366 days.