How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know if i need my right to own a firearm

Customer Question

i want to know if i need my right to own a firearm restored.I was convicted in the 80's of a non violent drug crime in the State of California. I was wondering if I need to have my rights restored.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CA law, if you were convicted of a FELONY, then there are two basic ways to have gun rights restored after an eligible conviction. The first way is if your felony could have been charged as a misdemeanor and you would have to file a motion to reduce the "wobbler" felony reduced to a misdemeanor. The second way is to file for a pardon with full restoration of rights from the governor through filing a petition for pardon through the board of pardon and parole.
If you were convicted of a misdemeanor that carried a gun prohibition in CA, then your rights are restored automatically 10 years from completion of your sentence, but not for a felony. The felony has to either be reduced to a misdemeanor or pardoned.

Related Criminal Law Questions