How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 108991
Experience:  Have handled various criminal law cases over a 12 year period.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

Can you provide me a bit of detail so I can understand the issue you would like to discuss by phone? I can then proceed to either extend the phone offer myself or, if the issue is outside my scope of expertise, direct you to an expert knowledgeable in the area relating to your issue. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi actually shop lifting of 290$ was done by me yesterday in Texas cop gave me ticket and he saidthis is your first mistake that it was class c.i am graduated student I just want to check if I pay fine this would be on my history.i am looking for IT jobs and does this effect my employment history
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. Your question really belongs in the criminal category. I will opt out and ask the moderators to place your question in that category. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

The arrest/ticket will always be in your history. If you pay the fine, it can be constituted as an admission of guilt. Generally speaking from best to worst, your outcomes could be the following:

1) Nolle prosequi or no action by state

2) Dismissal (it may be a dismissal because you entered into a pre-trial intervention program or something like that)

3) Not guilty verdict (acquittal)

4) Withhold of adjudication

5) Finding of guilt

So you should try to stick to the first two if possible. You can also negotiate a plea to a lesser offense like disorderly conduct.

As to employment, if an employer does a background check, as I said, they can see the arrest/ticket. They should also be able to see the disposition. Even if you get the case dismissed, they still may see you as a dishonest person and a risk to hire. Maybe if you take it to trial and get a not guilty verdict, you can argue that it was a mistake on the part of the store and you won in court and it should not be held against you. The employer could request a copy of the police report and disposition of the case to see if maybe you got off on a technicality and could still question your morality. Really, the only way to truly have some protection in regards ***** ***** depending on the outcome of the case, would be to have the case sealed or expunged. Sealing the case means that the public including private employers would not see the case at all and you could deny that it ever happened. There are some employers that you must disclose to anyway, but those are employers that deal with sensitive subject matter like children, U.S. military secrets, etc. Expunging the case is just like sealing it except that the physical case is destroyed. If you are not a U.S. Citizen, keep in mind that the government still has access to the record even if it is sealed or expunged, they will see that something did happen, and you must always disclose to the government.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to speak with you over phone
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You would have to accept the additional offer of service that I sent to you. If you decline, then please let me know if you need anything else, and please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Criminal Law Questions