How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 year old son was pulled over at Auburn University

Customer Question

My 19 year old son was pulled over at Auburn University while driving a friend home.
He was given sobriety test which he passed.
The officers searched his friends car and found my son's fake ID.
He was given a ticket for Possession of a Forged Instrument 3rd degree which I believe is a Class A misdemeanor.
He was told that if he paid the $400 fine t would not be on his record.
Is this true?
Is paying the fine the best way to handle? or should he plead Youthful Offender (I am not exactly sure what this means or how to handle?) or to claim not guilty since he did not have the fake license in his possession? (he provided the officer his real ID.)
Thank you, Mike
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Person should never rely on anything that police officers might tell them, since police officers are not lawyers and it is police officer who had arrested your son for the crime.

Unfortunately, this is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $6,000 upon conviction and pleading guilty or paying a fine would constitute criminal misdemeanor conviction and would state on convicted person's criminal background.

The only way to deal with such serious misdemeanor criminal charge, is to plead not guilty and consult and retain an experienced local criminal law attorney and this attorney can represent your son and contest this charges and hopefully either get the charge dismissed on some type of legal technicality or at least get it reduced to a lower charge and also get your son into first offender program which once completed would get the charge dismissed and would allow your son not to have a criminal conviction on his record.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.