How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my court appointed lawyer defended my brother and niece

Customer Question

If my court appointed lawyer defended my brother and niece in different cases at different times can they represent me even if I feel there's a conflict of interest because of it and I feel my lawyer isn't fighting for me, is there something I can do about it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest you first want to discuss this with your current PD. If they will not motion to have a hearing on the issue, then I suggest you talk to the Supervisor and explain how you feel there is a conflict and request they ask for the hearing.

If they do not agree, then I suggest you write a letter to the Judge. In the letter make a request to be heard on having new counsel due to a conflict of interest where you do not believe the attorney can represent your best interests.

A copy should be sent to both the lawyer you want removed and the prosecutor. Make sure both copies and the original which goes to the judge are sent certified mail and return receipt requested. And keep a copy for your records.

This letter should state you want the present attorney removed from his case and why. I suggest you list all problems that you are having with the current attorney and the conflict of interest. Be sure to note that because of the listed Conflict of Interests you do not believe that your best interests are going to be served and that under the 6th Amendment to the US Constitution you are entitled to have the proper representation.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The letter should be kept short and to the point. Be sure that it is truthful and you can support your reasoning.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I suggest the best way to begin is

Address it to

The Honorable Name of Judge
Name of Court

Re: Request for new Public Defender based on conflict of interest

Dear Judge NAME

I am writing to request a new public defender in case. I have discussed this with my current Public Defender and Supervisor to no avail.

However, I am making this request for the following reasons:

1 Begin to list the reasons AND

2 Continue with this enumeration UNTIL
3 you have listed all the reasons.

I humbly request that this Honorable Court rule in my favor and order a new Public Defender be appointed. Under the 6th Amendment of the US Constitution I am entitled to the best defense attorney available and I do not believe the current Public Defender, based on the facts listed above, is able to represent my best interests.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Certificate of Service

The Foregoing letter was mailed certified to NAME OF CURRENT Public Defender address and to NAME of PROSECUTOR address on DATE they were mailed.

Sign it.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you