How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33553
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens if someone presses charges against you, jewelry

Customer Question

what happens if someone presses charges against you, for stealing jewelry
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you rephrase and be as specific as possible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
someone is pressing charges against me for stealing jewelry.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I understand the facts, I'm just not sure what question you are asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't understand what I am supposed to do. or what am i facing ?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I'll explain the process and then you can ask any follow ups that you have.

First, a person doesn't actually press charges. They just file a police report and then the police or the District Attorney file the charges if they choose to do so.

When the actual criminal charges get filed, then a warrant is issued for the person's arrest. The person is arrested at some point and a bond is set. If the person makes arrangements to pay the bond or hire a bondsman to pay the bond then they can get out of jail.

If you can you should hire a lawyer as quickly as possible. Many times the lawyer can do your bond as a part of their fee and, if so, they will "walk you through" the process of being arrested where you just walk in the jail, get processed and photographed, and walk back out an hour or so later.

If you can't afford a lawyer and can't make bond then you would wait in jail until you go to court and then you can ask for a court appointed lawyer and the judge can appoint one.

You will appear at court several times for docket calls, and the judge will set a date for your trial. At some point the DA will make a plea bargain offer and then you can discuss whether to take it or turn it down and go to trial.

If this is your first offense then the offer will almost certainly be for probation.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Please feel free to ask your follow up questions at this point.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.