TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I was charged and convicted with a felony burglary charge in

Customer Question

I was charged and convicted with a felony burglary charge in 1979, am I still unable to get a foid card in Illinois? I was 19 years old at the time. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and was honorably discharged. I have not gotten into any trouble since then.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, you are indeed still prohibited. However, you may be able to become qualified by getting your conviction expunged or getting a pardon from the governor. In general, anybody convicted of a felony is not eligible for expungement. But there is an exception for an honorably discharged veteran who was convicted of a Class 3 or Class 4 felony. You will need to review the details of your conviction to see if you qualify. In any event, you can get the forms that you need here: http://www.illinois.gov/prb/Pages/CertificateofExpungementforMilitary.aspx

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!