Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a warrant arrest I didn't do. The person who commited

Customer Question
I have a warrant for...
I have a warrant for my arrest for something I didn't do. The person who commited the crimes used my truck and stored things in my shed. I found out about the crimes the day before Thanksgiving and the sheriff searched the property the day after Thanksgiving. Can I be charged with a crime if I didn't do anything about it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/29/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Yes, unfortunately, you can be charged with a crime if you were knowingly in possession of stolen property. Also, since he used your truck to commit the crime and your shed to store it, you could also be charged with theft under a conspiracy or accomplice theory.

There is, however, very little evidence needed to issue a warrant for someone's arrest and to charge someone with a crime. It only requires probable cause. Probable cause is only a reasonable belief that you may have had something to do with the crime. The fact that your truck and shed were used would be enough for probable cause.

To convict you, however, the state would need to show that you loaned your friend your truck and the use of your shed knowing it would be used for criminal activity and they would have to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. That's a very heavy burden and so even though they can arrest you, if there's any doubt about your knowledge and the level of your participation, you could not be convicted of these offenses.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD