How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved a speeding ticket in 1990, I failed to comply. As

Customer Question

Hello, I recieved a speeding ticket in 1990, for which I failed to comply. As a result, my DL was suspended. In 1993 I did comply with the citation and recieved a letter of complience. Then starting in 1995 I was charged with driving while suspended when I should have been reinstated in 1993. After that things spiraled into years of driving while suspended cases which turned into driving while revoked and then driving while revoked habitual. Maybe a dozen charges over the years.
Now after gaining access to boxes of paper work that was held from me by my divorced wife. I found the letter of compliance from 1993. This letter proves that I should have not been suspended in 1995 when this all started. I tried to say this all along but had no proof. As a result, I have been without a DL and arrested more times than I can count. This has changed the entire course of my life and kept me held down literally where I couldnt move around. Holding a job has been nearly impossible. Can I do anything about this? If nothing else , at least get reinstated my driving privlage?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. You appeal the revocation by requesting an administrative suspension/revocation hearing. At the hearing, you'll present the restoration / compliance letter you received.

The issue you'll likely run into, however, is that even though your license was restored, and should not have been suspended, you should not have been driving. They may take the position that although it was an administrative mistake, you were still bound to comply and appeal through the administrative channels.

If they do that, you should counter that because your license was restored in 1993, the next suspension based on non-compliance was a legal impossibility, thus, it should be treated as if it never happened. And, because each successive suspension was based on the legal impossibility, all are faulty, and your privileges should be restored.

I would recommend retaining a lawyer to assist you through the hearing process , including the application. They can be quite tricky. There are lawyer's that specialize in these types of matters.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only gives me credit if my response is rated. Thank you

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my response when you have a chance. I only receive credit from Just Answer after my response is rated. Thank you.