Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How does it take police to get a powdered substance tested

Customer Question
How long does it take...
How long does it take police to get a powdered substance tested to cbarge an adulut with a C felony?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/28/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

They don't need much evidence to get a defendant charged with a crime. All the police need is probable cause, a reasonable belief that the substance they have recovered maybe contraband

The official lab report and how long it takes depends on the volume in the system and how backed up the laboratory is. As a general rule, however, the lab report will be ready by the first court date.

Unclear

What don't you understand?

It is not possible to predict with any accuracy how long a lab will take to get back its results. That's a question of manpower and volume in the system. In general, however, f the defendant is incarcerated, he must see the judge quickly and the lab must be ready and positive or he'd have to be released. So that case would be a priority and you can expect that the lab would be ready on the court date so that he could be held and indicted on the felony charge.

If the defendant is out, the state has weeks to get the lab done, and it will take that time and more if there are other cases with more priority in the system..

If you didn't understand what I meant about the arrest, the police don't need all of their ducks in a row to make an arrest. It's good enough that they have a reasonable belief that the substance they found on the defendant was an illegal drug. They have experience in the field and know what they are looking for. The lab itself is needed once the case is in court.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD