How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27053
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend from Philippines was working in Papua New

Customer Question

My girlfriend from Philippines was working in Papua New Guinea with me. She went to a clinic and said she had endometriosis and had to fly home for operation. I paid for flight , operation and medicatin.
If I get proof that she did not have this would I be able to prosecute? And also she is still with husband/ boyfriend
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Where were you when you loaned her the money for her trip, operation and medication? That is, were you in New Guinea at the time? If so, you would only be able to sue her or have her prosecuted if there's a cause of action for that under the laws of Papua New Guinea.

You would need to report this crime to the Papual New Guinea police and ask them to prosecute. The fact that she is outside of the reach of their law at this time, however, would mean that until she returned to Papua New Guinea she'd be out of the reach of their law. The authorities would also have to show that at the time she asked you for the money, she was intentionally defrauding you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I get the medical reports I can answer that as yes she was intentionally defrauding me, I have e mails saying yes I knew I wasn't coming back " but I asked you nicely" I will get as much comments as possible tomorrow for you,
What if she is still on a work permit and has not been cancelled yet
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You've asked this question in a US law category, when, if it took place in another country, there is no remedy at all under US law. There are no lawyers on this site who are licensed to practice in Papua New Guinea. I can answer as to what would happen with a matter like this if a US complainant reported the person and tried to get her prosecuted, but I cannot ensure that it would be a correct answer under the laws of Papua New Guinea.