Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I had a momentary lapse after several tragedies in my life

Customer Question
and what my shrink said...
I had a momentary lapse after several tragedies in my life and what my shrink said was a momentary break of lack of control - I tossed a bunch of stuff (I didn't even want) in my bag and got caught at Macy's in California. They called police but they didn't
come down. I paid the $500 fee right then and there as I had $1000 cash on me. What I want to know is since I never got anything in the mail about going to court does that mean I don't have a record? This happened a year and a half ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/22/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty replied 2 years ago
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty

If the police never took a report, you will have no record. However, the fact that you did not receive any notice in the mail does not necessarily mean that no report was prepared and/or filed with the local DA's office. To be absolutely certain that nothing is on your record, you would have to check with the clerk's office of the court which has jurisdiction over the city and county in which this Macy's was located. If you let me know where this Macy's is located (city and county), I can tell you how to check your record to be sure.

Ely, Counselor at Law