Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is it possible to restore my gun rights prior to the end of

Customer Question
the 10 year ban in...
Is it possible to restore my gun rights prior to the end of the 10 year ban in California if I was convicted of PC 246.3?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/21/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

When you refer to the 10 year ban - by what was that imposed?

Were you charged with a misdemeanor under PC 246.3 or as a felony?

I was convicted of misdemeanor PC 246.3. When I am able to I'm going to get this expunged. In Caifornia this charge carries a 10 year gun ban. I want to see if I can restore my rights to own firearms prior to the end of the 10 year ban.

Thank you.

That's interesting that as a misdemeanor that does not carry a possible sentence of MORE than 1 year would also have a gun ban.

There are several laws in California that are Misdemeanors that carry a 10 year gun ban. It is not a federal gun ban just california.

Yes. I am looking at my research now.

I am not finding any statutes that allow a person with a 10 year gun ban to petition the court to have the ban vacated.

I suggest, you could apply for a Pardon and if you get the pardon, then petition for expungment.

Now, you can petition for expungment without the pardon, but that will not vacate the conviction and thus the 10 year ban

Thanks

But if you apply for an get the Pardon, that essentially forgives the crime. That would be the only way I can see the ban could be lifted - via a pardon.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law