How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26800
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is xxxxxx xxxxxxxx. Last year I kept my brother and

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Last year I kept my brother and put him on SSi. His check came to my bank account in the amount of $12,543.00. I used it to travel to Ga to pick his stuff up out of storage and to pay a lawyer $1500.00 to try to get him back, because I knew my brother was abusive and danger. I also replace the money that my husband and I had spent on him during the time he was with us, Taking him to doctors appointments. buying clothes for him taking him shopping and even spending money on meds before he was approved, because va would not pay for everything. This happen Sept of last year. I found out that my older brother help my brother who is disable bring charges against me for embezelement. My disable brother came with me to the court house to drop the charges, The Da refuse, he said he may put me on probation giving me time to pay the money back or put me in jail. I just adopted a baby a few moths ago my husband and I just brought a home. Do I have a chance in life to be free?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am a criminal lawyer.

First of all, when you have been charged with a crime, the last person on earth you should be speaking to is the DA. He has charged you, he believes you have committed a crime and that he can prove it, and he's not your friend. If you want to try to get the case dismissed or if you want the best chance of a deal with a non-incarceratory sentence, you should get yourself a criminal lawyer and let him or her handle your defense in some way that can't be used against you.

If you can hire a lawyer, you should do so and have him with you on your court date. if you are not able to afford to hire a lawyer, you can go to court without a lawyer, plead not guilty at your arraignment, and ask the judge to appoint you a public defender. The judge will adjourn the case for another date on which you will meet your lawyer who can take it from there.

This may be a case you want to try, as the money you took and spent, you spent on your brother's needs. But assuming that you want a deal, probation is not at all unreasonable under the circumstances you have described. This is a non-violent case and the complainant is a family member who would rather not press charges. There is every reason to believe that if you want a non-incarceratory deal, your lawyer will be able to negotiate that for you.