How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 61 year old grandfather, raising my 16 yr. old

Customer Question

I am a 61 year old grandfather , raising my 16 yr. old grandson by myself. I was renting a room in a house where I paid $700 a month. This included ultilities . Last month the owner came to me demanding more money for the electric bill. I had already gave him $120 on top of the $700 for rent. When I told him I didn't have any more money he became biligerant and crazy. He was yelling telling me he was going to kill me , and he backed me up aginst a wall. I felt my life was in danger and my grandsons, so I pulled out my pocket knife , and it worked long enough for me to get around him. He then went up stairs and called the police and made a citizens arrest and I was arrested and charged with brandishing a weapon. I have to be in court this Tuesday and anwer these charges. I feel that this was done in self defense and the charges should be dismissed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Based on what you have said, I agree with you. You may brandish a weapon when doing so is based on a perceived immediate threat of severe bodily harm or death. As the other guy was threatening to kill you---I agree that the charged should be dropped.

You will want to plead not guilty and ask for an attorney. The attorney will likely be able to persuade the prosecutor to drop the matter is the facts are as you said.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Criminal Law Questions