Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What is the statue of limitations state Training and

Customer Question
What is the statue of...
What is the statue of limitations for the state Training and standards to bring a civil action for officer misconduct were no charges were filed and this happen 13 years ago with the SBI conducting the investigation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/16/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This depends. Can you please tell me what has happened and the nature of the misconduct? The more you tell me, the better I can render an answer.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

While working as a narcotics officer the officer misused buy money to purchase items for himself NC SBI conducted and investigation and the officer resign but paid back the money no charges were filed and 13 years later the NC Training and Standards board are filing a civil state to revoke the officers certifcation

Thank you.

1) Statute of limitations apply to civil or criminal cases, only.

2) For example, in civil, if they pursued this under a claim for "unjust enrichment," they can only do so in 3 years after the event. G.S. 1-52(9).

3) In criminal matters, there can sometimes be no statute of limitations at all. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15-1.

4) However, this is neither a civil or criminal matter. This is an administrative matter, meaning an action is being brought by an agency against someone's license not in a court of law, but under its own internal rules. As such, no statute of limitation laws apply. They can technically do this at any time, including 13 years later, I am afraid. While this makes the argument weaker since so much time has passed, it is still true that they can attempt to do this.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law