How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31688
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother took my father's original will. i was about to

Customer Question

my brother took my father's original will. i was about to have the locked changed to my Dad's house last Wed. He had been driving my father's car drunk. I have power of attorney and am named executor in the will. I have been doing a very responsible job. For the past twenty days (10 in hospital), i've been busy with my father. We took keys away from my father..and set them on a shelf. one time before my dad went into assisted living, he let my brother to drive, so he asked me where key was. I told him. But I only just realized he kept my father's car key. I rekeyed the car and took it out of there. My brother lives across the street from my father. I asked for key(s) back. He did not respond. So I didn't bolt the house because the rekeying effort took several hours. On the other hand, my brother is crazy and alcoholic. There is no low to which he won't go. Now he's taken the original will.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you have a POA for your father, and if he is incapacitated and unable to take care of his affairs on his own, you can demand that your brother return the will to you......and if he refuses, the POA would even allow you to sue to compel your brother to return the will via court order.

Hopefully, you informing your brother that you're going to take action IF he fails to return the will to you.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If not, then you may have no choice but to file a lawsuit to compel him to return the will.