Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I purchased a rare breed dog for $6,000k. she did not get

Customer Question

i purchased a rare breed dog for $6,000k. she did not get along with are smaller dog. i recieved my rare breed albino donermain pinscher in may. i was paying my neighbor 100/weekly to walk her because im a nurse and i work 12 hour shifts. in september
my dad was offering people if they would take my dog because he did not want another dog in are house. a bank teller who we knew well offered to take her and watch her for me. in sept she picked her up and idiscussed with her that this is only until i save
money to get an apartment since my dad did not want here there i did say if things didnt work out we would have to discuss the situation and i may give her the dog and talk about a price since i still owe 3500k on her. i found a place and for weeks she ignored
all of my calls and had her boyfriend text me. i told them i have to contact the police because they are refraining to give her back. even when she picked her upi gave her know paperwork i have the bill of sale the registration papers microchip papers all
her ver visits and ownership papers. she has no signed agreement with me and no paperwork to the dog. the police went to her house twice and she refused togive up the dog
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i reside in pennsylvania
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I have read your comments, but am not exactly sure what your legal question is?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my legal question is am i still considered the owner if. i never signed her rights to my dog and if. i mentioned in text she could possibly keep her do i have a chance to get her back. i still owe 3500k on her which im paying and cant even get possession of her im just confused if i have every single document on my dog how she cannot release my dog
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you just gave it to the other person to take care of temporarily, but never actually gave the dog as a gift to the person, then you are still the legal owner. In order for there to have been a gift made, there would have to have been the intent on your part to forever terminate any ownership of the dog. Based on your comments, it sounds like this was a temporary arrangement until you could get your own place.

.

That makes this a "bailment" where the person is just holding your personal property (i.e. the dog) until you reclaim it.

.

If the person won't return the dog to you, your recourse here is to file suit under a breach of contract claim for "conversion", which is the wrongful keeping of the property of another. A judge should issue an order for the person to return the dog to you.

.

But this isn't a criminal case, it is a civil one, since you voluntarily turned the dog over to the person. So the police can't help here and your recourse is to file a civil suit in small claims court as this would be something that would be handled there.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
irequested a call can u call asap
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but I can’t engage in a private one on one phone call as that could imply an attorney-client relationship which I am prohibited from entering into under my independent contractor agreement with JustAnswer.

.

I can only answer questions on JustAnswer's public website and provide information..

.

.

thanks