Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

I have a son in prison since 2009 robbery possesion of gun

Customer Question

I have a son in prison since 2009 for attempted robbery possesion of gun and gang inhansment they gave him 15 years having to serve 85% is there in law that might help him get out sooner he was 18 when he was arrested
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Unfortunately, there is not a current law on the books that can lower your son's sentence below the 85% threshold right now. There is, however, a petition that is floating around to have the governor attempt or work towards lowering it from 85% to 65%.

Here is a link to that petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/governor-jerry-brown-7

If your son was charged as an adult, as we site here today, he will have to serve the 85% of the sentence. That said, there are people working to change that requirement. I am sorry I do not have better news for you on this subject and cannot imagine the stress and pain you must be under relative to this situation.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively as well (4 or 5 stars) so that I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

My pleasure. Let me know if you need anything else and please don't forget to rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars)...otherwise I will not get credit for my work.

I wish you all the best!