How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son in prison since 2009 robbery possesion of gun

Customer Question

I have a son in prison since 2009 for attempted robbery possesion of gun and gang inhansment they gave him 15 years having to serve 85% is there in law that might help him get out sooner he was 18 when he was arrested
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Unfortunately, there is not a current law on the books that can lower your son's sentence below the 85% threshold right now. There is, however, a petition that is floating around to have the governor attempt or work towards lowering it from 85% to 65%.

Here is a link to that petition:

If your son was charged as an adult, as we site here today, he will have to serve the 85% of the sentence. That said, there are people working to change that requirement. I am sorry I do not have better news for you on this subject and cannot imagine the stress and pain you must be under relative to this situation.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively as well (4 or 5 stars) so that I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. Let me know if you need anything else and please don't forget to rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars)...otherwise I will not get credit for my work.

I wish you all the best!