How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26860
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lone story short, year and half ago living with girlfriend,

Customer Question

lone story short, year and half ago living with girlfriend, lease in her name, i paid bills. argument not at home, but when i went home door was locked, i kicked in, she got home, called law, got arrested, charged first degree burglary, with attempted larceny, took my cloths from house...and one of her shirts i just bought her. went to court, got all dropped to communicating threats, now its causing issues with background checks, im in real estate business. the officer really went overboard on the charges, no violence was involved. how can i get it off my record as a felony charge, expunged?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, except for a first non violent offense committed at least 15 years before the application, the state of North Carolina will not expunge any adult convictions. It will expunge records of acquittals, dismissals and reversals, but that's about it. Here is a link to a plain English version of your state's expungement laws. I have also attached the section of the law that requires a 15 year waiting period.

If you can get your offense pardoned by your governor, however, you can thereafter get the record expunged.

You would not need a lawyer to apply for a pardon and would need to get the forms from the North Carolina Office of Executive Clemency.

Related Criminal Law Questions