Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I sent an message on fb to two girls who said somethings to

Customer Question

I sent an message on fb to two girls who said somethings to a friend and now they are saying they are filing a police report for harassment what is going to happen to me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I need to ask a few questions before I comment...

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

What was said to the two girls that they consider harassing?

.

Did they notify you to stop contacting them?

.

If so, did you continue to communicate with them after that?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I'm from Illniois!
This was sent to two minors who first said something to a friend!HI! LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE SHITHEADS, ALY IS A GREAT TRAINER! YOU f**kERS HAD TO GO BUY YOUR HORSES ALREADY MADE. LET'S SEE YOUR TRAINERS START A YOUNG HORSE! DO YOU EVER SEE YOUR TRAINERS RIDING AND EVOLVING YOUR HORSES?? NO!!! BELLA HAD A HORSE DIE AND IS NOW TRYING TO SELL THE OTHER ONE. MAX IS A LAZY ASS KID WHO'S MOM AND DAD SPOON FEED HIM EVERYTHING. THAT KID HAS NO RESPONSIBILITIES AND TAKES NO CREDIT FOR ANYTHING HE'S EVER DONE WRONG. SO BEFORE YOU START GOSSIPING AND SHOVING YOUR SNOT NOSED FACES IN SOMEONE ELSE'S BUSINESS THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ASK!!! I EXPECTED A LOT MORE FROM YOU TWO! YOU'RE JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER ASSHOLES IN THIS INDUSTRY! HAVE A NICE LIFE!
Their response wasmy mother has been copied on your statement and will be filing a police report when I return home.
A police report will be made for harassment.
They didn't tell me to stop contacting them just that a police report is being filed bc I'm an adult and they are minors! I said I understand please have your parents contact me!
Nothing after that
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first off, this isn't harassment so the police wouldn't even take a police report on this and if they actually did, no DA is going to file a formal charge for those comments.

.

This is the IL harassment statute:

Sec. 26.5-3. Harassment through electronic communications.
(a) A person commits harassment through electronic communications when he or she uses electronic communication for any of the following purposes:
(1) Making any comment, request, suggestion or proposal which is obscene with an intent to offend;

.

And the definition: "Harass" or "harassing" means knowing conduct which is not necessary to accomplish a purpose that is reasonable under the circumstances, that would cause a reasonable person emotional distress and does cause emotional distress to another.

.

While some of the language is harsh, none of it is "obscene" as required by the statute to be a violation of the law. And calling them a name or two wouldn't cause a reasonable person emotional distress..

.

These are just children who are trying to scare you by saying they will file a police report so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wouldn't contact them again though as that could turn into a "course of conduct" that may be considered harassment.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time!! This is exactly what I thought I de friended them and will not be contacting them ever! Thank you again for the the Help and quick response!!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.. And the first thing immature children do when offended is say they are going to call the police on someone... The police have better things to do than pursue soothing the hurt feelings of a spoiled child.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much