Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What are the chances of probation first offense of

Customer Question
What are the chances of...
What are the chances of probation for a first offense of possession of controlled substance?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/6/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer

The answer to the question depends on many factors, including:

- how old is the alleged offender;

- does the person have a criminal record separate and apart from this charge;

- the attitude of the prosecution and the judge relative to first offense;

- the amount that was found on the person (felony amount versus misdemeanor).

Typically speaking, if the person is young without a criminal record and the amount is not a felony amount, then they have a pretty good chance of getting probation, or even having the charge remanded to the file (meaning there is no conviction unless they fail to perform the required community service or whatever the court orders).

If it is a felony amount, then it is extremely unlikely that the person will get probation.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively.

Best wishes going forward!

I am 18 years old with an absolute clean record.

Then you stand a very good chance to get probation if the amount was not a felony amount. I advice you to get an attorney (even if a public defender) and leverage them by sending requests to the prosecution that you are willing to perform community service or whatever it takes to avoid conviction or at least get probation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars).

Thanks!

Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer