How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26851
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter's 18 year old friend was charged with

Customer Question

My daughter's 18 year old friend was charged with shoplifting in NC while we were visiting family. She was given a citation and court date. We live in NJ. What would a 1st time offense be and what would happen if she does not show up for court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


This is a misdemeanor in North Carolina, unlike in New Jersey where it is a disorderly person's offense. If your daughter's friend is not in court or doesn't have a lawyer standing up in court in her place a warrant will issue for her arrest. While North Carolina won't extradite from New Jersey on a misdemeanor charge, what will happen eventually if she doesn't show up is that they will suspend her driving privileges and New Jersey will revoke her license. Then in order to get her license restored, she would have to go to North Carolina as an absconder and face the music in order to clear her license.

Typically courts are not looking to ruin the personal and professional future of a teenager for one stupid lapse in judgment. Usually, there are deals that can be worked out which can keep a charge like this from going on a young person's record. Someone needs to get this young woman a North Carolina lawyer, who may be able to work something favorable out for her without her even having to come back to court.

If she doesn't know where to find a lawyer, she can contact the North Carolina Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service or a commercial lawyer referral service such as