How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm currently serving a life sentence in Georgia and I would

Customer Question

I'm currently serving a life sentence in Georgia and I would like to know if I can get transferred to my home state of North Carolina to serve out the remainder of my sentence?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Have you served at least one year in GA?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If yes, then I suggest you need to talk to your case manager/counselor and ask them for a Transfer form. Tell them you need to be closed to family that the trips for visits is a hardship on them.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The counselor does not have to agree with a transfer request. And if you cannot make headway with the counselor then I suggest a call to Classification and Transfers Director, at 404-656-xxxx might shed some light.

While the request for transfer can only be made by the inmate, I suggest the family can contact the Ombudsman/Family Advocate Phone:(###) ###-####and try to get some help.

The transfer not only is at the discretion and prerogative of the Department of Corrections, but the receiving state - in this case NC - must also agree.