How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34275
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband t me twice. I have pictures an witnesses. He

Customer Question

My ex husband hit me twice. I have pictures an witnesses. He got arrested the second time, but only got 5 years probation. Can I still press charges for the first time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

That depends...can you tell me

1. What state did this happen in?


2. How long ago did he assault you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Texas
2. Nov 2014
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

You can still request the police investigate/prosecute.

That is, the statute of limitations in TX to prosecute an assault charge is 2 years. Since this happened less than 2 years ago, the state can still prosecute. have to convince the police to take the case.
Police have discretion. That means they are not required to investigate any particular case. So they may decline to take the case because it happened so long ago.

But you can make the request.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.