How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson was charged about 6 months ago with possession

Customer Question

My grandson was charged about 6 months ago with possession of 1 oz or less of marijuana, first offense. Disposition was Forfeiture/Criminal Traffic. Can this be expunged?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

In which state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
South Carolina
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Under South Carolina Code of Laws § 22-5-910, a defendant may apply three years after the date of the conviction for an order expunging the records of the arrest and conviction of a first offense conviction in magistrate, municipal, or general sessions court for a crime carrying a penalty of not more than 30 days imprisonment or a fine of $1,000, or both.

If this was a first offense, and your grandson has had no other conviction during the three-year period following his offense, the court may issue an order expunging his records.

Directions for completing an application for expungement may be found on this website:

Thank you for your question.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if the customer rates my response. Thank you.