How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27769
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Everytime Ive gotten into a little trouble I always get the

Customer Question

Everytime Ive gotten into a little trouble I always get the MAX punishment. I got my first D.U.I. ever blew .09 was facing 1-3years prison automatically got sentenced the max 3yrs... Then I have a boyfriend who sold drugs he got caught up so they said
I knew and gave me 4years prison. I got my first driving on revoked the states attorney bold faced lied in the court in front of the judge and said it was my SECOND I say it wasnt and get yelled at to shut up before I get charged with contempt and keep getting
offered jail time. I am broke and cant afford a lawyer to help me I feel judged unfairly with harsh punishments and wonder if i can take this anywhere pro bono... Why are my punishments so extreme at all times? Ive sat next to someone in court on their 11th
d.u.i. and they were offered drug court and rehab. I was n court and overheard the state saying someone was on their 5th driving on revoked and offered the a.fine and 6mo court supervision. I want to sue for something and get my life lost time and pride back.
This record like Im some kind of "extreme criminal " is really messing up my life. I need help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, the stakes generally go up each time that a person gets charged with a new crime. Perhaps your sentence on your first and second cases were unduly harsh, but what you should have done at that time was to have appealed the sentence or filed a motion to have it modified on the basis that it was unconstitutionally harsh. Once you wind up doing years of prison, you can't turn the clock backwards on new offenses if you keep on getting in trouble. You can talk to a local lawyer and see if you have a suit, but there is no right to a good plea offer.