Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

Can you be violated being under the influence of drugs and

Customer Question

Can you be violated for allegedly being under the influence of drugs and alcohol
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When a person is suspected of violating the terms of their probation or parole, they have a right to a hearing. The standard of proof at that hearing is lower than in a criminal case - it's not beyond a reasonable doubt. It's by a preponderance of the evidence. If the terms of the probation or parole prohibit a person from drinking, they can be violated if someone reports that the person WAS drinking and if it's established to be true at a hearing. Generally, they'd need a witness who saw the drinking or a blood test that shows alcohol or drugs in the person's bloodstream.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.