LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

CAN YOU STOP A BENCH WARRANT AND GET A NEW COURT DATE PERSON

Customer Question

CAN YOU STOP A BENCH WARRANT AND GET A NEW COURT DATE FOR A PERSON WHO MISSED ONE COURT DATE IN CLAYTON COUNTY GEORGIA
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

No, you cannot stop a bench warrant, but you can deal with it. Let me explain.

If a warrant has been issued for you because you failed to appear at court to answer to the citation or charge made against you, then you will need to contact the criminal court clerk’s office at the courthouse and ask whet the amount of bond is for the warrant. The warrant was issued because of your failure to appear at court as directed. You will then need to go to the court and post the bond on the bench warrant. The bond is usually between $500 and $1,000, cash only, and then you will get another court date to appear to answer to the underlying charge as well as to your failure to appear at the first hearing. By posting the bond you will avoid being arrested or jailed before the hearing.

If you are fearful of going to the court to post bond, you can have a friend do it, or even a local attorney. However, they are not waiting at court to arrest you. Call ahead to ask how much the bond amount on the warrant is---take in the cash to pay the bond, and you will be given a new hearing date.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug