How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Grandson is in Lake County Jail. He is 26 years old,

Customer Question

My Grandson is in Lake County Jail. He is 26 years old, however, he has mental health issues. He was in a Mental Health Behavior Facility when he walked away and was missing for two days. After I filed a missing person report, he was in jail accused of auto theft. He has been in jail for two months waiting on trial. Should the Mental Health Behavior Center have some responsibility in letting his Lawyer know about his condition and behavior? I have tried to contact his lawyer, but she has not contacted me. Is there anything I can do , because he was court ordered and approved by DHS to live with me? I do not have legal guardianship. I need some advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your son's attorney is liable for getting the information from the facility. The problem with court appointed attorneys is that they have so many cases that they cannot get to each client as soon as a private attorney would do. So the behavioral center is not going to contact his attorney first, the attorney will have to contact him. If you want them to contact the attorney, then you need to get in contact with the facility and give them the attorney's information and tell them to send the information over to the attorney about your son.

The attorney is likely not going to contact you, as you are not the legal guardian or PoA for your son. They have to deal only with your son. However, that does not mean you cannot contact the attorney or have the mental health facility contact the attorney and provide him the information he needs to help your son.