How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3149
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hopefully you can help. My son was convicted over 20 years

Customer Question

Hopefully you can help. My son was convicted over 20 years ago of sex with a minor, the minor was his girlfriend, who both parents approved/condoned of their relationship. They were both minors, but my son turned 18 before she did, there were 3 years apart in age. Both sets of parents, hers and his were all family friends and the two kids became boyfriend/girlfriend. The girlfriend sometime later, got in some kind of trouble and ended up in a group home. My son and his girlfriend corresponded while she was in this group home or juvenile hall and discussed their intimate relationship. A counselor intercepted one of these letters and filed charges against my son with the local DA in Susanville, Ca. he was convicted of misdemeanor sex with a minor and sentenced to 8 months jail time. when released he was not required to register in California, My son eventually moved on and relocated to Nevada. Nevada subsequently required my son to Register as a sex offender. My son got into other legal problems in Las Vegas Nevada and ended up recently moving in with me in Florida. Florida sex offender laws are very strict and now are trying to sent my son to prison for 3-4 years, for some technical rule they claim he violated. What happened to my son so many years ago was wrongful prosecution that his orfinal defense attorney at the time did not know what he was doing, this has haunted my son for over 20 years, and has never had any kind of repeat sex offense. His current attorney is fighting hard on my sons behalf, but it seems to be a uphill battle. The current Judge in this case, keeps continuing the case due to some error or problem with the Florida DA case. We had no idea that a wrongful conviction from so many years ago has ruined his life, He eventually remarried had kids, but there seems to be no way to stop this legal train. There is a Advocate group in Florida that I contacted and have been communication some type of Investigative report for help. We don't know where to turn to get the right help, to right the wrong. Any advice or help would be appreciated. i have a email and phone number if you can help or want to contact me.***@******.***, 601-xxx-xxxx
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Are you still seeking assistance?