Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My grandson has a fine an a court day of October 24. He was

Customer Question
in a Walmart close to his...
My grandson has a fine an a court day of October 24. He was in a Walmart
close to his apartment with a girl friend of him. They each went there way looking for
some stuff they needed. When they finish, they were ask to go to an office at the store
and they search them for something. They found on the girl purse some pencil for the price
of 14.70 and a bottle of wine. My grandson ignoring all the time what she did, told them that
he did not have nothing to do with what she did. They told him that even they did not see him in
any store camaras taking nothing they have to fine him because he was with her. My grandson is a very good student and on the University ***** *****st. He is extremely worry about the situation because he said that he does not need to have something like this go in to his records. (Very clean records no even a traffic ticket).
Please help us to find a solution to the matter. The store should never give or involve him in the matter. Please let me know what should we do about the situation. We are stroking to give him the education he needs and wants and this record should not be affected at all by something so ugly. .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/13/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

When two or more people go to a store together and store security sees one shoplifting, they frequently arrest the whole group as co-defendants. The state's case against the girlfriend might be stronger than against your grandson, but the state can still try to prove they were both somehow working together to assist in the shoplifting. Just as an example, they may feel that your grandson was the lookout, or he could be the getaway car driver.

Sometimes there isn't much evidence at all on one of the co-defendants and on the first date the state will dismiss. That may be what will happen when he shows up to court. However, if they do not dismiss this he may have to fight this case, and if so, he needs a lawyer.

If the state doesn't dismiss this and your grandson wants to cut his losses, on a first arrest typically people accused of shoplifting can get a diversion type of disposition whereby they essentially work the case off of their record by paying fines, doing community service, taking an anti shoplifting class and staying out of trouble during a period of supervision. Once they complete all of their requirements successfully the case can be dismissed and he can honestly say he had no criminal convictions. Such a disposition would likely be one that a lawyer could negotiate for on his behalf if the state did not dismiss and he was afraid of trial.

Lawyers here cannot represent JustAnswer customers, because it is against the terms of service of this site and the regulations of our bar association. If you want to find him a criminal lawyer, contact the Texas Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral which includes a free consultation with the attorney. He should have the lawyer with him on his court date. If hiring an attorney would cause a heavy financial hardship, he can plead NOT GUILTY on his court date and ask the judge to appoint him a free lawyer.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD