Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I got caught stealing items from work, it was around 30

Customer Question

I got caught stealing items from work, it was around 30 dollars. They made me sign a statement and my boss said he didn't want me to go to jail or prison. And I agreed to pay them back. What's going to happen?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

It sounds like the employer is going to handle it all in house. That means, you can be fired. But if you were told they did not want you to go to jail or prison and the police have not been notified, then it should end with the employer's disciplinary action whatever that will be.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Has it been reported to the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe it has. lp wouldn't tell me if they were going to press charges or not but my boss said told them he didn't want me to go to jail. And then they escorted me out.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Then it appears it is between you and the employer.

So I suggest you pay them as soon as you can and when you do ask them for a waiver not to prosecute.

And it can say simply something to the effect of

The money has been repaid and there will be no prosecution of said matter now and forever.

Signed in front of a Notary.

If they do go to the police and you are charged, there is a fine of up to $1000 and up to 180 days in jail. Though I suggest you would get probation and no jail time.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you