How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27425
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Zoey, I have been harassed to two years by being followed,

Customer Question

Hi Zoey,
I have been harassed for close to two years by being followed, phone and computer hacked into and it started by a former employer who had his internal invistagators come to my neighborhood and spread some negative things about me which they believed and they in turn spread it to other neighbors. Also since this former emplower had power of his position he was able to have other agencies do their subtle and not so subtle harassement. I felt this at my new part time job as a sub-teacher by some of the other teacher and not being called to sub-teach as often as I used to. There are many other small things like they have some kids on the block who try to may a lot of noise at night. The neighborns continue to involve other close by and their aim seems to be to get me to move out. So not only have they harassed me they have invaded my privacy, discriminated against me as a minority, they have no allegations and no charges so they are doing this out revenge, anger r
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Sorry for the delay. I was not at the computer when your question came through.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What steps have you taken to try to stop this harassment? One possible way to deal with this is to contact a local lawyer and have him draft a cease and desist letter which could be sent by the people who are bothering you. It doesn't have much effect in and of itself, but what it does is to enumerate all of their actions that you find objectionable and ask them to stop or you will pursue them to the fullest extent of the law.

You can write one for yourself but it is better coming from a lawyer on legal letterhead, because then the recipients will see that you have consulted with counsel and that you are likely serious about going after them. Sometimes that's all you have to do.

Some of the actions you're speaking of sounds like stalking, harassment and computer crime. These are all criminal offenses and can be reported to the police. You could tell the police that you want these folks prosecuted and also then ask for a protective order, which would keep them from further bothering you. Other actions sound like civil actions and would require consultation with a local civil attorney.

In any case there are several different ways you can approach this problem. I'm not sure what you actually wanted to ask, as you didn't pose a question. So I just gave you an overview of your general options. If you had something specific in mind that you didn't ask and that I didn't address, please reply and tell me and I'll add to my answer.