How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26818
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson has been in jail since march 2014, charged SBS,

Customer Question

My grandson has been in jail since march 2014, charged SBS, Felony murder. He signed a paper with the public defender to share information with me and his mother. He has not went over any information since march 2014 with either of us much less my grandson. He will not return our phone calls and we have tried to get an appointment. What can we do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Most public defenders work for defender organizations which means they have supervisors to whom they are accountable. If your grandson has asked to waive his attorney/client privilege (a very unwise move, incidentally, as once he gives up the privilege anyone, including the prosecution can be privy to everything his lawyer knows), you can contact his supervisor and complain about his unresponsiveness. Otherwise, you can file a complaint with the lawyer's licensing agency and they can investigate his conduct. Their website seems to be down right now, perhaps because it is a Sunday, but you'd file the complaint with the disciplinary committe at

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He signed a document stating that his mother and I were to be kept informed. Not everyone
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

I am aware of what you said that your grandson agreed to, but if he gives up his privilege, others can potentially get that information too.

In any case, the problem is that your son's lawyer has no obligation to you at all. All you can do is to file a complaint about him. His obligation is to your grandson, and if your grandson is unhappy with him he can ask the judge for a lawyer who will carry out his instructions and represent him effectively and his lawyer can then be replaced. So talk to your grandson, and tell him to get on his Lawyer and tell him to communicate with you or you will have him removed from the case.