Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My grandson has been in jail since march 2014, charged SBS,

Customer Question
Felony murder. He signed a...
My grandson has been in jail since march 2014, charged SBS, Felony murder. He signed a paper with the public defender to share information with me and his mother. He has not went over any information since march 2014 with either of us much less my grandson. He will not return our phone calls and we have tried to get an appointment. What can we do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/11/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Most public defenders work for defender organizations which means they have supervisors to whom they are accountable. If your grandson has asked to waive his attorney/client privilege (a very unwise move, incidentally, as once he gives up the privilege anyone, including the prosecution can be privy to everything his lawyer knows), you can contact his supervisor and complain about his unresponsiveness. Otherwise, you can file a complaint with the lawyer's licensing agency and they can investigate his conduct. Their website seems to be down right now, perhaps because it is a Sunday, but you'd file the complaint with the disciplinary committe at www.gabar.org

He signed a document stating that his mother and I were to be kept informed. Not everyone

I am aware of what you said that your grandson agreed to, but if he gives up his privilege, others can potentially get that information too.

In any case, the problem is that your son's lawyer has no obligation to you at all. All you can do is to file a complaint about him. His obligation is to your grandson, and if your grandson is unhappy with him he can ask the judge for a lawyer who will carry out his instructions and represent him effectively and his lawyer can then be replaced. So talk to your grandson, and tell him to get on his Lawyer and tell him to communicate with you or you will have him removed from the case.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD