Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I live in Texas I recently fell scam called a flip where a

Customer Question
I live in Texas I...
I live in Texas I recently fell for a scam called a flip where a person send money through money gram and another person supposedly sends a larger amount back by manipulating the numbers but in actuality just takes the money sent and walks I don't really care to have my money back what I did was stupid and I deserve to lose my money but I know who scammed me and want them stopped before they can scam others but I am worried about going to the police because I was told what I what I did was illegal what kind of legal penalties could I face?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/7/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

You're saying that you were the victim of a scam. That would mean that you purchased a money card and then gave the card number and PIN to someone else who stole the money that you loaded onto the card. If all you did was buy the card and give someone else the pin number, that's not illegal. What did you do that you in this scam that you believe was illegal?

It wasn't a card, now that I think about it, it was not moneygram either it was walmart2walmart the person claimed they worked at a Wal-mart and that after I sent the money order to them they would add a zero to the end of it and send it back so 400 becomes 4000 something that if true would have been illegal but that is not what happened they just took the money I sent. What I am wondering is since I went along with it believing it was true or at least making it seem like believed it was true is it possible I could get into legal trouble if I went to the police to file a report on the person.

Thanks for the reply,

If you don't have a criminal record and you were just pressed hard to cooperate in this because it sounded like easy money, you might have an entrapment defense if you were ever charged with this crime. But you're correct. You would be admitting to conspiring to steal from Walmart, and that could result with you getting charrged.

If the person who scammed you is someone you don't really know in person who contacted you on a social networking site like Facebook, the odds of the police being able to find this person are going to be near zero. So there's no good reason to put yourself in a bad situation when the person is unlikely to be caught. Instead, you could report him anonymously over a site like Crimestoppers, or just post anonymous warnings about the scam on sites like Scamdex.com, Scambook.com, Ripoffreports.com and othere in that vein.

If you do know who this person really is, and/or if you have solid evidence where you think that you could get him caught, you could talk to a criminal lawyer and see if he could cut you a deal with a prosecutor where you wouldn't be prosecuted in exchange for evidence leading to this person's conviction. The lawyer could negotiate something like that without revealing your identity unless/until the DA agreed you would not be harmed by the system if you cooperated.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD