How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested after purchasing one box of Sudafed. it was

Customer Question

I was arrested after purchasing one box of Sudafed. it was un opened and in my purse.another passernger in the car had in his possession one un opened cold pack.they never asked why I had the pills.they locked me up and waited till the next day to read me my warrant. should we have even been arrested?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Did the officer give a reason for stopping the car or approaching you? Did you give him permission to search the car/your purse? When you went before the judge, was there any indication they had any evidence other than what they found in your purse after stopping you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the officer said he was watching us and knew what I had purchased. I pulled the bag out and gave it to him intack. no the judge didn't indicate anything. he read the warrant to me which states we had several items that could be used in the manufacturing of meth. I only had 1 item.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

To stop you, he needs probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed. If he really has been watching you, then he'd need to have set out all the reasons he thinks you were making meth into an affidavit and asked a judge to issue an arrest warrant. Buying one box of cold medicine, in and of itself, is not a crime. You have a right to ask the district attorney for copies of all of the evidence against you, which would include any warrant affidavits.

And it sounds like you may also have a basis for filing a Motion to Suppress evidence based on the officer's act in stopping you without probable cause. If the evidence found on you is suppressed, then the charge will have to be dropped unless they have other evidence (which, again, you have a right to see).

It may help to have a local attorney file the motion for you. If you cannot afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one for you at no charge unless the district attorney waived all possibility of imprisonment at your appearance.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.