Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

With our crazy world going on, I'm considering a gun

Customer Question

With our crazy world going on, I'm considering a gun purchase. My husband is a convicted felon, and cannot possess a fire arm. Does this affect me if I decide to purchase one?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It impacts you in that your husband cannot have access to or be in the constructive possession of a firearm. This means you can have your firearm, but he cannot have any means to access the weapon. This means it needs to be stored in a gun box with a fingerprint type lock or it needs to be stored away from the home. Otherwise, it is not against the law for you to own a gun, it is just more difficult because he cannot have any way to access possession of the gun as a convicted felon.