How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27467
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

By court order (chicago county) my record was sent to

Customer Question

hello by court order (chicago cook county) my record was sent to "delete". How to know if it was erased? how to obtain a certificate that I don't have an arrest or criminal record? Also, can I ask to the Chicago police send the new information to the FBI , to erase the record of my arrest? I would like dissappear all information about it. The secretary of the Court was going to send the decision to delete it, but I'm not sure if I need make an additional petition. I like to obtain a certificate, something... Sorry, my English is terrible
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


If your court record was expunged, then everything relating to your case can be expunged as well, including the arrest information, unless your offense was a sex offense against a minor. In that instance Illinois will not allow the arrest records to be expunged.

If there was a court order granting the expunction of your records, the best way to find out whether it was carried out would be to order your criminal record from the state or from the FBI. If the state has expunged your conviction, the FBI gets notification of that and should update their records accordingly. The FBI provides information on how to challenge an incorrect criminal history here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer! I'm going to ask my rap sheet to the police. One question, the FBI also expunged the record or just change the information? I don't received a criminal sentence, but being foreign, every time when I come to the EEUU, Immigration stopped me by the federal record to my arrest. They can delete that? The Illinois Police can send the new information to expunged the Federal record? I have a FBI case number, but just say "arrested to 08/19/2014" and is terrible, They interrogated me for hours and I have nothing to prove that no longer owe anything to justice. can I request a letter or certification don't have a criminal record? That proves that my case was deleted by order of a judgI can request a letter or certification do not have a criminal record? That proves that my case was deleted by order of a court? I just want to have something that gives me the assurance that the record was expunged, then enter the country easier... or expunged my FBI record. I have not a criminal ofense!
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply,

When the Federal government gets word of an expungement, they are supposed to expunge it too. That said, however, nothing is ever really invisible to the government. The Federal government will probably always continue to question you during your comings and goings from the US.

If you cannot get an official certificate of disposition showing the outcome of your case from the courts because the local record has been expunged, (ask the clerk how to obtain one, because that differs from place to place), you can ask the prosecutor to provide you with a letter on their letterhead, and that, too, would be official proof of the outcome of your case..