How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26753
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best way to get a misdemeanor expunged from the

Customer Question

What is the best way to get a misdemeanor expunged from the record in Connecticut of a Jamaican citizen who spent 7 years in the States and then went back to Jamaica? Now 43 years older than he was at the time, his requests for a visa to come to visit his 96 year old mother have been denied because of this misdemeanor, carrying a small knife (he said that he used it to cut fruit.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


How old was this person he was arrested for the misdemeanor, and what was his sentence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was in his early 20's (he is now 63) and he was stopped, searched and taken into the station and booked. They didn't put him in jail which they said they would have done if the knife was bigger. As it was only a small knife (handle 2" and blade 3"), they said it was just a misdemeanor and released him..
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


So you're saying that he was arrested for a misdemeanor, but he was released and never had to appear in court? If the case was never prosecuted, he could get the record of his arrest expunged, by filing a petition with the court where the case was filed. If he has a conviction, on the other hand, this case could not be expunged because Connecticut does not expunge adult convictions.