Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I got a call from a police officer he left a voice message

Customer Question

I got a call from a police officer he left a voice message saying to call him back with a report number i called back and the receptionist asked for the officers last name which he didn't say just his first name then i gave her the report number but said she didn't find anything, then she transferred my call to the officer she thought had called me but went straight to voicemail and i just hung up... should i be worried why would a cop call me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you should be at least somewhat concerned, because if you didn't make the report that the police officer mentioned, then someone else did, and that means you may be a suspect in a criminal matter. If so, the only way you should provide information to the police is through or with a criminal attorney. And frankly, since a suspect can almost never help himself at such a meeting and can only make statements which can be twisted and used against him, you will have a tough time finding a lawyer who will want to go with you to talk to them.

Generally, when police contact a suspect and ask them to talk about something, it's because they do NOT have enough information to arrest them. They are hoping that if they can get you to come to the station or to talk to them about the matter they're concerned with, you'll give them what they need to make the arrest. Police are skillful trained interrogators. They know how to twist your words, trap you into admissions, and get what they need you to say so that they can charge you with this crime. They always sound very pleasant when they want something, but they are not reaching out to you to be your friend. They are looking for evidence to arrest you.

You do not have to talk to the police under these circumstances. Your right to refuse to be questioned is guaranteed by the Constitution. The police may not be happy with that, but they can NEVER use what you won't say against you, because it is your right. The second you give up that right is when they can use anything you say against you.

So what you should do regarding the police is to refrain from answering questions about what they want to know at all. Do not contact them again. If they contact you again, ask them if you're a suspect of some kind, and no matter what their response is to that, if their conversation makes you feel like you are a suspect and they may be lying, just tell them that you are waiting to hear from a lawyer and your lawyer will call them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will he call again if so if i refuse to talk to him, will he come to my house?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

You can talk to him. You just don't have to answer questions. If he tells you what he wants to know and you feel that you may be in trouble, just tell him you want to speak to a lawyer before discussing anything further and then get off the phone.

If you ARE a suspect -- and I don't know that you are -- and he does have enough evidence to arrest you, he's going to do that whether you talk to him or not. But if you don't submit to questions about whatever is on his mind, at least he doesn't get anything from you that the state can use once you're charged. Keep in mind that even if you make comments that you think are helpful, they may be harmful anyway, since you won't know what they are really looking for. Just as an example, if you are accused of harassing someone and you respond by saying something like, "I spoke to her but never harassed her" that tells them that you did actually have some contact with that person and therefore does corroborate a part of her story.