Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

Court ordered divorce degree written 20 years ago and was

Customer Question

Court ordered divorce degree written 20 years ago and was never complied with can it still be held in contempt?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Court judgments have a 12 year statute of limitations in Maryland. Therefore, there is an argument if the lack of compliance has been in place for more than 12 years, then the statute of limitations would preclude any contempt action. That said, a decree relative to a divorce proceeding is different than a regular court judgement in a civil law case. As such, I think a reasonable and good faith argument can be made in a motion for contempt to have the party out of compliance forced to adhere to the decree or face contempt in view of the decree. In other words, and in short, because this is a divorce decree, I think it can proceed forward on a contempt charge.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks