How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Court ordered divorce degree written 20 years ago and was

Customer Question

Court ordered divorce degree written 20 years ago and was never complied with can it still be held in contempt?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Court judgments have a 12 year statute of limitations in Maryland. Therefore, there is an argument if the lack of compliance has been in place for more than 12 years, then the statute of limitations would preclude any contempt action. That said, a decree relative to a divorce proceeding is different than a regular court judgement in a civil law case. As such, I think a reasonable and good faith argument can be made in a motion for contempt to have the party out of compliance forced to adhere to the decree or face contempt in view of the decree. In other words, and in short, because this is a divorce decree, I think it can proceed forward on a contempt charge.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks