How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1986,I was convicted of Violation 2271,sentenced to (3)

Customer Question

In 1986,I was convicted of Violation 2271,sentenced to (3) years(suspended to (3) years probation. Served time and on October 25,1995, was granted restoration of full rights of citizenship by the Governor of the State of Louisiana. This rights as stated include the right to own,possess.receive,ship and transport firearms and remission of all forfeitures resulting from such conviction. My question is under Federal law, am I allowed to purchase and own a firearm??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

What you have is a Pardon with full restitution to your Second Amendment per the Louisiana law. I suggest, if you did not then follow up by Petitioning the court of conviction for an expungment of the court record and a sealing of any arrest records, your conviction is still going to appear on a federal background check. And in that regard, you would be denied because of the conviction.

Therefore, you need to petition for the expungment and sealing, if you have not.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

HERE is a LINK for the Expungment forms available online from the Louisiana courts. But you can also get the packet from the clerk of the court where you were convicted and that is where the Petition must be filed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I like your answer and will pursue.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Thanking you in advance for a positive rating and good luck with everything.

Related Criminal Law Questions