CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My bf got arrested last night and disorderly conduct. We got

Customer Question

My bf got arrested last night for battery and disorderly conduct. We got in a argument last night and a neighbor called the cops. When the cops showed they asked me if he hit me. I said no. She kept asking so I finally said he slapped me in the face. My boyfriend and I have been together 2 years and nothing like this has ever happened. We were arguing about money and drinking when this happened. Things got out of control. This so never happened in the past. I'm just wondering what are the Ganges of the battery getting dropped.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. You mean what are the chances of the battery charge being dropped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, yes that's what I mean

Thank you. This all depends on your cooperation. I say this because you are the victim and this is a crime against the State. The prosecution represents your interest, so even if you speak with them and demand they dismiss the case, it is solely at their discretion, when all is said and done. However, if you fail to appear at the trial and testify against him, then they will not be able to proceed since they do not have a victim/witness. As such, they would need to drop this and could only likely proceed with the disorderly conduct charge.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has a court date tomorrow already. Will I be able to talk to the DA about what happened. When the police were here yeatrday they made me fill out a paper on what happened and took pictures of my face (there was only a small mark on my eye lid) I feel by them taking the pics and the statement this is only going to hurt my boyfriends chances of getting this dropped. Do you know of anything I can do to help him in this?

You can speak with the DA, since you are the victim as they will want to get your version of the story. You are right though, with the photo and your admission, the State is not likely to just drop the case. That is why I shared that your cooperation, at the trial, or lack there of, is what will result in a dismissal, eventually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be in his best interest of I didn't testify in court? Should I attempt to talk to the DA first?

Certainly try and speak with the DA. They are going to contact you regardless, since you are the victim. Now, you not testifying against him is at your sole discretion because if you get served with a subpoena, you would need to appear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now if he were to get convicted. And the case not getting dropped. What would his chances of doing jail time? Or just paying a fine?

For something like this, he could be looking at a probationary sentence before the jail, if he is a first time offender and you do not object or ask for any jail time.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other advise to make this go well for both of us?

Make sure it retains legal counsel. If he can not afford to retain private counsel, have him ask to be appointed the public defender, when he appears in court. Also, speak with the DA and express your wishes to them and see if they will consider the dismissal. If not, he needs to work the case and go through the process. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.