How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband opened a savings and checking account with one of

Customer Question

My husband opened a savings and checking account with one of the two biggest banks here in California. He used cash to deposit his first time, when opening the account. I have also only deposited cash into his account; I live 400 miles away, and aim the family accountant, so I get cash from my other accounts at other bsnks, and I always walk into the local branch of his bank to do so.
Two days ago, for the first and only time, my husband attempted to deposit or cash a check from another person. Again, this was, is, the only check ever introduced into either of his accounts. My husband had been contacted about some equiptment on Craig's list , and the interested party tried to pay with check, and take the equiptment. My husband would not do this with a person he had just met, so they decided my husband could deposit/cash the check before the equiptment changed hands. The buyer didn't seem worried as he had been to my husbands home.
The bank flagged the check immediately. My husband was to,d it could not be cashed nor deposited, there were no funds and the check may have been stolen. The bank did its job by spotting a bad check so quickly and no one was hurt economically.
However, the bank then closed my husbands two accounts; the savings and checking accounts he'd opened about a month ago. My husband be was told he could not have access to any money in either account. He was to,d they were "under investigation." It's very important to note that every cent in both his savings and checking can easily be peruse by the bank to realize EVERY CENT WAS DEPOSITED LEGALLY, PROPERLY, AND MOSTLY BY ME, HUS WIFE, IN CADH IN ANOTHER BRANCH. NO MONEY IN THISE ACCOUNTS CAME FROM AMY OTHER SOURCE. THE ONE CHECK THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN USED TO DEPOSIT FUNDS WAS IMMEDIATELY FLAGGED AND NOT ONE CENT FROM THE CHECK WAS GIVEN TO JY HUSBAND OR PUT IN HUS ACCOUNT. THE BANK IS GOING TO HOKD THE SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLKARS I RECENTLY DEPOSITED FOR MY HUSBAND FIR AT KWADT SEVEN DAYS
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for requesting me. I assume your question is how you get access to your funds again as quickly as possible?

Easy - cooperate with the bank's investigation. Offer to help them in any way you can. If you've done nothing wrong and have only deposited cash that was yours legally, you should be able to trace the cash funds from other banks/sources and show how you made the deposits into this bank. They may have put your account on hold as a precaution, and they're allowed to do that, especially if this account is relatively new. However, they can't freeze your money for an extended period of time. So, offer to help them to resolve this issue so that you can get your cash back and go to another bank.

I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond. Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.

Best wishes to you,

Related Criminal Law Questions