Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was convicted of a 3rd degree felony its was about 8 years

Customer Question

I was convicted of a 3rd degree felony its was about 8 years ago i did not serve time it was the theft was between 1,500-5000 dollars i did my probation and everything that was asked of me and I only have that on my record i did not serve anytime and i haven't gotten in trouble or a ticket or anything since and i want to work and i can't with that on my record i was wondering what can i do .
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you were convicted, even though you only did probation, you only have 2 options. First, a rarely granted option is to file a motion to vacate the conviction and ask the court to vacate the conviction for good cause, which would then allow you to seek an expunction of the record. The courts are very reluctant to vacate a conviction and will not do so if the DA does not agree to the vacating of the conviction. If you cannot get the conviction vacated, then the only recourse is filing a petition for pardon with the governor's office of pardon and parole: https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/forms/FP%20App.pdf