S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
70026054

My cousin made a reservation with credit card number he made

Customer Question

My cousin made a reservation with credit card number he made out at hotel, he went to the hotel and stay the night, he never show the clerk a credit card that just ask for his id a check in. In the morning the front desk called him and told him his credit
declined at stolen credit card, I went to front desk and paid for the room, when we left the parking lot police pulled is over and took him to jail and will be receiving a letter for warrant about 2 week for credit card fraud, but there was never a credit
card found or presented to front desk, Is he looking at time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Q) Is he looking at time?

Possibly. The maximum penalty for the scenario you've described is up to 1 year in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.

The credit card fraud statute in Florida is fairly broad and doesn't require the use of an actual card. Someone can commit credit card fraud by giving the credit card numbers over the phone.

The prosecutor has to show that your cousin intended to get something of value by using a credit card he knew was forged or stolen, or was someone else's credit card that he wasn't allowed to use. It will probably be difficult for him to explain why he was legitimately using a stolen credit card.

When your cousin goes to court, the judge will want to know whether he plans to hire an attorney or whether he wants a court appointed attorney. Either way, your cousin should NOT talk to the police or make any statements to anyone about the case until he speaks to his attorney and gets legal advice. The attorney in FL will help him to present his best case in court, and may be able to work out a favorable plea bargain if it appears the state has enough evidence to convict him.

I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond. Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.

Best wishes to you,
Shuband