Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My ex boyfriend thinks i keyed s car and vandalized

Customer Question
my ex boyfriend thinks i...
my ex boyfriend thinks i keyed his car and vandalized surfboards- he lived with me... and my prints are all over the surfboards...im scared because i had a dui and my prints are on file ... he is very vindictive
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/12/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

You two lived together so your prints don't have to mean you keyed his property.

Has he actually had you charged with this offense? What exactly do you want to find out?

no i have not been charged, police called me, and i told them i had nothing to do with it, and that he stayed at my house that week, i sent him a picture with the Time Stamp and Date of a Picture my ex-boyfriend took with my dog and the Boards on his truck in the background from that week- and i also sent the police officer a text message from my ex, stating that he had talked to the officer and he got them to stop calling me... and not to worry. But they still called me 3 weeks later... and now i don't talk to my ex any more... he is very vindictive and i am scared

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to clarify, you believe the police still think of you as a suspect and you're scared of being arrested? Or are you scared your ex is going to physically harm you? What did you say to the police the last time they called and how long ago was that?

they called me the day after the incident and my ex called them and "supposedly" told them he had rushed to judgement and he shouldn't have said it was me. once my ex told me in a text that the officer wasn't going to bother me anymore- i figured it was over..... then the police called me yesterday and all i said was i had nothing to do with it, he was with me that week in my house ..he asked me to send him the texts and pictures and i did .... and he said that they were "processing the Surfboards"
i am scared they will arrest me because my fingerprints are probably on the boards because i handles the boards because they were at my house- i had a DUI in January and my prints are on File

Thank you.

It appears that the police don't particularly believe your boyfriend. That's why they called you in the first place. From here, however, should the police talk to you again, don't give them any more information about this situation. You're not required to give evidence that will help the prosecution and certainly not when it's evidence that can be used against yourself.

It is possible that when prints come back you'll be charged with the malicious destruction of his property. But you have a reason for the prints to be on the surfboards -- you'd been living together. If charged, you will need to get a criminal attorney, and you can fight the case. The fact that you not only cooperated with the police but provided photos are helpful facts. The email your ex sent you saying that he told the police it wasn't you is also in your favor and will damage his credibility if the case does go forward and gets tried.

Typically, the police would probably not take you into physical custody if they charged you. They know where to find you and you've been cooperative with them. Typically also the standard offer from the prosecutor on a case like this would be probation and paying back the complainant for the value of the destroyed property. I'm not, suggesting you take such an offer if you didn't commit the crime. I'm only mentioning it to let you know that unless you go all the way to trial and lose you won't have to worry about jail.

While waiting to see what the police will do, it's best to have no further contact with your ex, even if he contacts you. It would be a good idea to start looking for a criminal lawyer. You don't actually need to retain one now, since there is no case and nothing for that lawyer to do. But just in case they decide to charge you, you'll at least have the name and phone number of a lawyer you want to work with, who will be in a position to step right in to help you because he or she will already be up to speed in the matter.

How will I know if they drop the case? Would they just drop it?

Right now there is no case. So there's nothing to drop. The longer it goes without anything happening, the less likely it is that anything will happen. If it does, you will be the first to know, so don't call the police to make inquiries. It's not in your best interest to talk to the police. If they are investigating you, they are not your friends.

However, yes, if they don't feel they have enough evidence to arrest you, they will drop their interest in you and start focusing elsewhere.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD