How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyDort Your Own Question
AttyDort, Litigation Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 96
Experience:  Criminal and Civil jury trial expeirence; 17 yrs exp in state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttyDort is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was trying to find out what can I do if I am being stalked

Customer Question

Hi I was trying to find out what can I do if I am being stalked or harassed by past neighbors but cannot prove it
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 2 years ago.

You can get a temporary restraining order, and then a permanent restraining order at your local courthouse. Most applications for a restraining order begin with a declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the applicant was threatened, suffered injury, or some assault. Temporary restraining order can be issued in that declaration alone. If the defendant challenges the order, they have the right to a trial for the permanent restraining order. At that trial, you would need some additional evidence, like video.

I'd say monitor the situation with video from a cell phone, keep notes, and apply for a temporary restraining order as soon as you feel threatened.

There are no fees for filing a restraining order application in nearly all courts. Most courts have the form for that application on their web site with simple instructions.