How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27425
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My seventeen year old son was convicted of felony pot

Customer Question

my seventeen year old son was convicted of felony pot charge, the police department has ss. card I need it back so I can get medical coverage for him. they are holding it , what can I do? do I get him a new one?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

As your son is a minor, unless the prosecutor needs the social security card for evidence, you should be able to get the card released from the police or have your son's lawyer obtain it from the prosecutor.

Do you know why they are holding his card?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that's the part I don't know why cause it's not a folgeray or identity theft! He was just cot with some pot two small bags, they never took him in to custody, we went to court he got probation which he is doing! I just don.t get it? Why?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like your son was already sentenced for this crime. If he was incarcerated, then the police may have taken his property for safekeeping and given him a voucher. If so he can claim his property with identification.

If not, you can contact either his lawyer or the prosecutor who handled the case and ask for the release of his social security card.